WPBA San Diego Classic 2009, Photo by Anne Craig

Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's Your Excuse

I woke up this morning thinking about the last tournament and how I was going to improve my performance at this weekend's event. Looking back at my records, I had my worst finish in a couple of years and logically speaking there were lots of reasons I could come up with why I didn't play well. I had a 5 week old at home and this was my longest day away from her, I hadn't slept more than 3 hours straight in over a month, my body was expecting to nurse and I had to pump between matches, I hadn't been practicing as much and everyone else had, and so on and so forth... but when it comes down to it, there are generally very few reasons why I lose a match. Ultimately, as painful as it might sound, I didn't execute. While I was busy concentrating on everything that was preventing me from finishing (I lost two matches where I was up 5-2, 7-5) the other ladies were focusing on doing what they needed to do to advance.

Pool players are notorious for making excuses for less than perfect performances: why they miss a shot, how they lose a game, and often how they lose a match to someone that in their mind they should always beat. Well that's the problem, thinking about what should've, could've, or would've been if you had done something differently can be as self defeating as shooting without a tip or even with your eyes closed. For my next event, I will be recording common excuses that players have heard or used themselves for why something didn't stay the desired course, on the pool table naturally. A survey of sorts that will give me just the right reason for touching base with all the ladies on the tour. Sounds like a plan, I will report back with my findings.

While you are here, what is the best excuse you have heard or even used yourself for missing a shot?

1 comment:

  1. i go for the no-excuses approach. i think the only way i can get better is to not fool myself. analyze the shot honestly and figure out what went wrong, so i won't do it again. after all, no one hit the shot for me.

    ReplyDelete