WPBA San Diego Classic 2009, Photo by Anne Craig

Saturday, November 24, 2012

GoPlayPool.com brings pool communications into the new millenium

With all of the technologies out there, it is no wonder that someone hasn't thought of a way to unify all the sources of information that are currently available to pool players on tournaments, pool rooms, and news.  Oh wait, someone has, Now.  Go Play Pool is that website and mobile app and it's recent launch is very exciting.  Here is my interview with Mary Ann Starkey, CEO and CoFounder of GoPlayPool.com:

SOS- Who’s idea was it to create GoPlayPool?

Mary Ann- Ramin and I both had similar ideas a few years ago.  We wanted to create a directory of pool halls and bars so people would always know where to go if they wanted to play. 

SOS- What inspired your idea?

Mary Ann- The real launching point for us creating the website and the app came from me finding out about a bar in my area that has 5 really nice Diamond bar-boxes.  I had no idea that they had quality equipment, and it was only minutes away from my home.  It got me to thinking that there should be a source for players to go to, to be able to find information like this easily.  I knew the bar was there, but I had no idea what they offered...so we decided to build on that, and GoPlayPool.com was formed.

SOS- What would you tell people about GoPlayPool that they might not be able to know from the website?

Mary Ann- GoPlayPool.com has been built from scratch.  Even the database of rooms was created by hand.  We searched multiple sources for rooms and we've done our best to filter out the suppliers and rooms that have since closed.  While many sites with similar concepts just did a basic "copy/paste" to create their lists and maps, we have been working tirelessly to enter this information by hand.  We hope it shows! 

SOS- How do companies and pool rooms advertise with GoPlayPool?

Mary Ann- Companies can advertise their businesses for FREE with GoPlayPool.com.  We don't charge anyone but the pool rooms.

The pool rooms can advertise themselves by becoming members of GoPlayPool.com.  They get the first 30 days free to try us out, and it's only $19.95 per month after that.  With that membership, they get a detailed profile which describes the room and the amenities offered to its customers.  Not only can they list tournament schedules for pool, but they can also include tournaments outside of the sport if they offer them.  Everything from foosball to shuffleboard and even beer pong tournaments.  Users can learn anything they might want to know about our member rooms. Users can also get special coupons and discounts offered directly from the room.  These types of things can be expensive for companies to promote and distribute, but with GoPlayPool.com, they get everything for one low, flat rate. 

SOS- Will the Application always be free to users?

Mary Ann- We are happy to provide this information free of charge to the users.  The information SHOULD be free to the players and fans, because in the end, they are the ones who already spend enough money to support the sport of pool. 

SOS- Are there any other projects/ideas that you would love to be involved with?

Mary Ann- We are working on creating some really good giveaways and contests as well as tournaments in the near future.  We are coming up with some great ideas to promote and represent the community as well as pool players.

SOS- Tell me more about Mary Ann?

Mary Ann- First and foremost, I'm a mom.  I have a great son, who is my reason for getting up everyday.  Without him, I'd be lost.  I am also lucky enough to have a great man in my life.  Ramin is a great guy, and I'm so glad that pool lead me to him.  I went to an event almost 4 years ago where I met him, and "beat" him at a game of 8 ball.  I love the game of pool, and I'm so thankful that I've found this opportunity to not only promote the sport, but also help the people who make our sport possible...the pool halls and bars.  I have 3 goals right now.  1. Spread the word about the game, the sport I love so much.  2. Help the hard working room owners to promote their establishments so we can continue to play on a casual basis and leagues.  3.  I hope to make GoPlayPool.com a success to that I can support my little family and continue to enjoy playing pool in my spare time.

I believe that GoPlayPool is just what our industry needs to streamline the massive amounts of information available for pool rooms across the country and it is my goal to support them by spreading the word.  Please go to their website and give as much feedback as you can.  Download the free app on your phone.  Let's do this :)  Good peeps and good pool, what a winning combination!

1 comment: