WPBA San Diego Classic 2009, Photo by Anne Craig

Friday, June 8, 2012

WPBA US Open Adventure- Day 3

Well, what can I say?  Bittersweet probably sums it up.  Playing Allison Fisher at the US Open was truly amazing.  After running out the first two racks and taking a 2-0 lead on the defending champion, I was truly elated.  I really felt like I could play at her level.  And I can, but not for long enough.  As my sister said after the match, "She didn't make any shots you couldn't make, but she didn't miss any shots she shouldn't miss."  That was the difference in every single rack after the first two.  I made some truly excellent shots, missed a few safeties, and missed some really easy shots that I should never miss.  I lost the next 9 games to a truly class act.  I am even more in awe than I was prior to playing her.  The bar is high and I know as long as I keep working and learning the game, I will definitely make the gap much smaller :)

After our match, I went out to dinner with my sister.  Fried pickles, black bean salsa with chips, and some local hard cider for appetizers, then we headed to an italian restuarant for some, might I say, mediocre stuffed mushrooms and pasta.  The wine was good, but we barely ate...  Then we headed back to the room so I could prepare for my 10:30pm match with my good friend Jana Montour. 

We got to the room about 30 minutes before my match was scheduled to start and couldn't believe that the 9:00pm match hadn't even started yet!!!  Oh boy...  I tried to make the most of it, visiting with players and shooting some racks, but really, by the time we got to start our match it was 12:30am.  I was exhausted, plus I had decided to shoot in my contacts, and for anyone that has worn them, when your eyes get tired, it can be brutal.  No excuses, I just kept missing.  Missing shots, missing shape, missing safeties, and missing the game that I know I have.  I was disappointed, but not for long, because as soon as we got back to the room we laid down and crashed out.

It is a new day and I have an interview with ESPN in just over an hour.  The interview will air the weekend of July 14-15, when they show the quarterfinal, semifinal, and final matches. 

Other items on the agenda...  Not so sure, my schedule has freed up significantly.  I do plan on making the most of this Tulsa/WPBA US Open Adventure.  We are definitely going to check out some nightlife, plus I get to watch this tournament unfold.  Check back soon :)

2 comments:

  1. Experience of a lifetime...very proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, i dont know my way around a pool table much less at the tournament level but i gather Alison Fisher is to women's billards what Bobby Fisher is to chess. Any relation? If one of my chess players was facing her first round against the best of the best I'd have trouble standing much less breathing! Bravo Suzanne! What a feeling - being in the center of the beating heart of a once in lifetime experience. I hear your voice in a future ESPN interview saying something like... "I do remember the 1st time I played Ms Fisher back in 2012..."

    ReplyDelete